Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Terek Sandpiper Twitch 20th May 2014

Tuesday 20th May I started work near Watford, and then drove to Coventry for another call, after I had finished this 2nd call, I looked at Birdguides for the days sightings. I quickly spotted the Terek sandpiper reported at Covenham reservoir, Lincolnshire. As this was a bird I had never seen before, I looked up where Covenham reservoir was, and found it was a little over 100 miles away from where I was. So I put into the SatNav as the destination the church at Covenham St Mary and set off. I reached the village and saw a local in his front garden, so I pulled over and asked directions to the reservoir, he was very helpful, and I told him about the Terek sandpiper. I arrived at the car park, and asked another birder if the Terek was still here, he told me he had just got back to his car and told me where to go, walk up the steps to the top of the reservoir bank and walk to all the other birders. I quickly walked the last part of this journey, and got onto the Terek sandpiper with my binoculars, it was with a little gang of waders, a Redshank, Dunlin, Sanderling and a Common sandpiper. I then setup my scope getting great views and then I took some record shots, as the gang moved up and down the bank around this corner of the reservoir.










Terek Sandpiper




Sanderling


Dunlin

I returned to the car park very happy, I packed up and as I was about to drive away a wagtail landed in the car park, it was a Yellow wagtail, my first of the year, so I got out of my car and quietly got out my camera and got some shots before some arriving cars made it fly away.


2014 Year List = 185

No comments:

Post a Comment