Friday, October 17, 2014

Twitch to Spurn for the Masked Shrike

Friday evening got all my birding kit and supplies ready for a 03:30 alarm on the morning of Saturday 27th September. Soon I was hearing the alarm, I loaded up the car and then entered Kilnsea into the Sat Nav at set of on the approx 250 mile journey up north, to Spurn a place I have never been to before. The roads were quiet and only the roadworks on the M1 with its 50mph speed limit, slowed me down, and I arrived parking up in the field set up for extra parking a little before 08:00.

I soon joined the other birders and enjoyed good views of the Masked Shrike as it moved up and down the hedge on the opposite side of the field, it was catching insects and I also saw it cough up a pellet.






After enjoying the Masked shrike (another new bird for me), I went for a walk around and set of to the Bird observatory, seeing a Wheatear on the way.



After a short sea watch where I added Red-throated diver and Pink-footed goose to the year list. I walked a little way down Spurn Point.

Looking back at the Bird  observatory.

As the tide had started to go out, waders started to arrive from their roost sites to start feeding on the exposed mud. Waders seen: Golden plover, Grey plover, Knot, Dunlin, Snipe, Bar-tailed godwit, Curlew, Redshank & Greenshank.



On my way back, I had a closer look at the Tree sparrows around the Bird observatory, when some Linnets landed of the wires above.

Back at the car park, along the fence were Whinchats and Stonechats, taking the days total to 47 bird species.
2014 Year List = 224
On my way home I went to watch my football team (Farnborough FC) play at Brackley Town in the FA Cup 2Q round, I arrived just after kick off, and watched them go in at half time losing 2 nil. After half time Farnborough started to play much better, as Brackley tried to sit on their 2 goal lead, but they failed as the game finished 2 - 2 with Farnborough unlucky not to win.




No comments:

Post a Comment