Friday, August 15, 2014

Long-tailed Skua East Beach Selsey

I tried for the Long-tailed Skua on Wednesday 13th August, I parked in the church Norton CP and walked along to East Beach to join some other birders. One had seen the L-T Skua but only as it flew away, the other 3 had not. The birder then said how photographers were on their bellies crawling closer and closer when a low flying Black-headed gull, gave the Skua a reason to leave, chasing this gull. We looked and waited until 19:00, and then left having dipped.
On Thursday 14th I was again working down in Brighton, so as the L-T Skua was again been reported on East Beach Selsey, after work I headed straight there, but this time I parked up at the end of Park Copse. I walked straight out onto the beach, and to my surprise there were no others birders in sight. Out with the binoculars and scope and I started to scan up and down the beach, when I located the L-T Skua sat down amongst the groynes. I slowly walked up the beach towards the skua, took some photos, moved closer and watched the bird for a while and then took some more pictures. I was about to leave when it stood up and started to preen, so I stayed a little longer and again took some more photos as this was a new bird for my UK life list. Other birds seen, Cormorant, Little egret, Oystercatcher, Turnstone, Black-headed gull, Herring gull, Great Black-backed gull, Common tern & Carrion crow.







2014 Year List = 211

No comments:

Post a Comment