Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Poole Harbour from Shore Road and North Haven

Monday 25th February 2013, once again work took me down to Bournemouth, as I got to Basingstoke on the M3 a radio traffic report informed me that the M27/A31 to Ringwood was closed, so I came off a M3/J7 and using the SatNav made my way across country avoiding all major roads, a most enjoyable journey whizzing along narrow country roads, arriving in Bournemouth a little after 9:00. It was still cloudy and cold, but the wind had eased off, so I took my lunchtime break looking over Poole Harbour, I parked up in the small car park opposite the signs for Sandbanks Road and Shore Road.

The tide was going out and from here I saw around 70 Bar-tailed Godwits, one was in full summer plumage, with smaller numbers of Oystercatcher and Redshank, 1 Curlew and 1 Dunlin.
There were many thousands of Gulls attracted to the large amount of mud and sand being exposed by the receding tide, Great Black-backed gulls, Herring Gulls, Common Gulls, Black-headed gulls and Mediterranean gulls, some looking very smart in full summer plumage. Out on the water Great Crested Grebes, Red-breasted Mergansers and around 50 Dark-bellied Brent geese near the marina wall. I then went to North Haven and parked near the Ferry Quay seeing Pied Wagtail and Carrion Crow, and looking over the water adding Goldeneye, Cormorant, Shelduck and watched a summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe which took my year list on to 108.
Looking towards the Marina.



Looking across to Brownsea Island with the Sailing Club Pier in view.


Red-breasted Merganser
Ferry (North to South Haven)

2013 Year List = 108

No comments:

Post a Comment