Friday, January 18, 2013

Pallas's Warbler at Moor Green Lakes

Friday 11th January, I went to Ealing for work,  and when I had finished I headed of to Moor Green Lakes for the Pallas's Warbler as this would be a new bird for me.
On arrival at Moor Green Lakes spoke to a number of birders who had seen the warbler and they described where to head along the Blackwater valley path. On the feeders in the car park Great Tit, Blue Tit,  Nuthatch and in the horse field, Carrion Crow, Blackbird and Moorhen. As I walked towards the Blackwater valley Path, I caught another two birders up, we then made our way towards the conveyor belt, and no sign of any bird. Once at the conveyor belt we joined other birders who had seen the warbler, but the flock had moved on. So I did the same and went over the conveyor belt bridge and headed of to the sewage works. When at the sewage works I saw Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, feeding low down by the river a Wren. I then heard Long-tailed Tits, and soon had them feeding in the wood on the other side of the river.

So I started looking for the Pallas's Warbler, but only saw Goldcrests and a Treecreeper, the flock started to head back towards the conveyor belt, so I followed. In the field Woodpigeon and Magpie. Looked at the new workings seeing Little Grebe, Black-headed Gull, Common Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull & Tufted Duck.

Conveyor belt and new workings (Berkshire)

Conveyor belt and bridge over the Blackwater river (Hampshire)


As I was going over the conveyor belt bridge the other birders signaled to me that they were on to the Pallas's Warbler.


I was able to pick it out and the views were not great as it was high up in the trees, so I positioned myself next to the conveyor belt and followed the warbler as it moved along with the long-tailed Tits, it then flew across the opening and landed lower down in a tree, I quickly found it in my scope and got some great views, before it moved on. Some of the birders left some followed the warbler, I decided to stay on top of the bridge and have a look around. Looking over the new workings, with the Canada Geese were 15 Barnacle Geese and 2 hybrid Snow Geese, Kestrel and on the water Coot & Pochard. Looking at the trees I had Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker. The birders who followed the warbler were returning and they again signaled to me that they were on the warbler, I was still on the bridge so higher up, and the warbler flew pass me at head height and landed in an alder, as the tree was dark the colours and marking of the warbler really stood out, but it soon moved on, so did I to look at Colebrook Lake South, Grey Heron, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal & Mallard, then Colebrook Lake North, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant, Little Egret, Mute Swan, Shoveler, Goosander ♀, Lapwing & Snipe.

Colebrook Lake North from viewing screen next to hide (Can you see the Snipe?).

On the top of a tree by the horse fields a small number of Redwing, and on the feeding station by Colebrook Lake North, Chaffinch & Reed Buntings.


Finally on the way back to the car park a Barn Owl was watched hunting over the new workings, where it put up some Snipe.


213 Year list = 67

No comments:

Post a Comment