Tuesday, August 4, 2015

June 2015 - 9 for the year list, 2 on Life list & 5 new sites

I started the month with the first two weeks working down in Bournemouth. So after work on Monday 1st June, I went to Posbrook Floods for the first time, which in an area north of Titchfield Haven and had the Greater Yellowlegs all to myself. In the hour I spent there I also saw, Grey heron, Shelduck, Mallard, Pheasant, Moorhen, Coot, Black-tailed godwit, Black-headed gull, Woodpigeon, Swift, Swallow, House martin, Pied wagtail, Wren, Blackbird, Song thrush, Cetti's warbler, Reed warbler, Magpie and Carrion crow.











Tuesday 2nd June, and after seeing reports of an adult White-winged black tern, at lunchtime I made the short journey to Swineham Gravel Pit, my first time here. I made my way to the far end and joined a local birder, who put me on to the WHITE-WINGED BLACK TERN it stayed to the middle of the gravel pit, feeding, until a strong  gust of wind took it over to Poole harbour and out of sight. I also noted, Great crested grebe, Cormorant, Canada goose, Mallard, Tufted duck, Marsh harrier, Moorhen, Coot, Mediterranean gull, Black-headed gull, Swift, Swallow, House martin, Robin, Cetti's warbler, Reed warbler, Chiffchaff, Chaffinch & Goldfinch.






2015 Year List = 169

Also reported on Tuesday 2nd were two Red-necked phalaropes on Ibsley water at Blashford lakes, so on my way home, I dropped in to the Tern Hide and watched the two RED-NECKED PHALAROPE always kept to the far side as they fed up and down. Also had nice close views of Lapwing in front of the hide.




2015 Year List = 170

After work on Wednesday 3rd June I went to Acres Down New Forest, hoping to find a Wood warbler. I did not find any but had a great time watching a Redstart family.






On to my second week down at Bournemouth for work, and on Monday 11th I had a walk after work, this time to Ravens Nest Inclosure New Forest, another new site for me, again to look for Wood warbler. Walking into the wood and the first thing I see is a Fallow deer, I hear and see Redstarts, and then hear a WOOD WARBLER, so I slowly walk towards the singing bird, until he is right above me. Also noted Woodpigeon, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush. Great tit & chaffinch.






2015 Year List = 171


Tuesday 9th June and reports of a Hudsonian Whimbrel at Pagham Harbour. So I finished up at Bournemouth and drove straight there, as this would be a new bird for me. I joined the other birders & we had good views of the HUDSONIAN WHIMBREL, we watched it feeding and then flying off over to the salt marsh. Also added LITTLE TERN.





2015 Year List = 173


Thrusday 11th June and after work I headed to Martin Down NNR, for Turtle dove and Corn bunting. I drove to Martin and then went down Sillen lane until I reached the car park. I soon heard the purring of a TURTLE DOVE, and went on to have good views of different birds. Also had great views of Yellowhammers, but no Corn buntings.








2015 Year List = 174

On Monday 15th June I had a call in Edgeware, and I had to order up some parts, so while these were being  sent to site, I made the short drive to Borehamwood. Using some instructions e-mailed to me, I went to find the Monk parakeets. I parked up and had a walk around, when I heard the calls of Monk parakeets, when they flew into a nearby tree, looked like a family group as a couple were doing the wing flapping that recently fledged birds do when begging for food, but they soon flew of before I could get any photos. So I went in the direction that they flew, and soon found the tree with the communal stick nest, and here were two MONK PARAKEET



2015 Year List = 175

Tuesday 16th and again after working in Bournemouth I drove to Swallowfield church Berkshire, to look for Spotted flycatchers, as I had good views in 2014. I walked around the church yard and looked over the fields, and down by the river noting the following: Grey Heron, Buzzard, Swift, House martin, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Great tit, Jackdaw & Goldfinch. It wasn't until I headed back to the entrance to the car park that I saw one and then another SPOTTED FLYCATCHER, both taking food to their nest.



2015 Year List = 176

My last uk birding for June was on Friday 19th June, as I was heading over to Cyprus to visit family.
This was a lunchtime visit to Little Marlow gravel pit, I saw 41 different birds adding GARDEN WARBLER to the year list, also saw a large Red-eared terrapin.






2015 Year List = 177

No comments:

Post a Comment