Friday, July 10, 2015

8 more sites, 6 counties in May take me on to 168

After working in Brighton this week, on Friday 8th May I stopped of at The Burgh West Sussex on the way home. The following were seen, Mallard, Red kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Red-legged partridge, Grey partridge, Pheasant, Black-headed gull, Herring gull, Stock dove, woodpigeon, Collared dove, SWIFT, Great spotted woodpecker, Skylark, Swallow, Pied wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush, Mistle thrush, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Raven, Chaffinch, Goldfinch.




2015 Year List = 157

Tuesday 12th & Wednesday 13th May, took me down to Bournemouth for work, so on the Tuesday after work I went to the Denny Lodge inclosure in the New forest. Where I saw the following, Little egret, Lapwing, Black-headed gull, Woodpigeon, CUCKOO, Great spotted woodpecker, Swallow, House martin. Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Redstart, Stonechat, Blackbird, Song thrush, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Willow warbler, Goldcrest, Blue tit, Treecreeper, Starling, Chaffinch, SISKIN









2015 Year List = 159

On to Wednesday 13th, when I set my alarm for silly o'clock, so I could get a couple of hours birding down at Portland bill. Arrived a little before 05:30 seeing the sunrise, I then went down to Pulpit rock, to view the cliffs and sea. After that I went up and around to the other side of the old MOD now Qinetiq site, where I noticed a Rock pipit feeding along the cliff edge working its way towards me, so I sat down and waited, and was very pleased of the photos I took. Birds seen FULMARMANX SHEARWATERGANNETSHAG, Oystercatcher, Herring gull, Great black-backed gull,  GUILLEMOTRAZORBILL, Woodpigeon, Skylark, Swallow, Rock pipit, Jackdaw, Carrion crow, Starling, Linnet.



2015 Year List = 165

Tuesday 19th May, and after working in Harrow, I stopped off at Staines Reservoirs to let the traffic die down on and around the M25. No new birds added to year list, the North basin was still drained, and over the full south basin were 100's of Swift and also alot all three of the hirundines (Swallows, House & Sand Martins). On the draind basin were a pair of Little ringed plover, and a flock of 23 Ringed plover and 2 Dunlin, also some great sky as heavy rain clouds went past.








Wednesday 20th May and I was back at Croxley business park, so at lunchtime had a walk around Croxley common moor, seeing Little egret, Canada goose, Mallard, Moorhen, Lesser black-backed gull, Woodpigeon, Collared dove, Swift, Green & Great spotted woodpecker, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush, Reed warbler, Lesser whitethroat, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Willow warbler, Great tit, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion crow, House sparrow, chaffinch, greenfinch & Goldfinch.











Friday 22nd May and I was back in Kings Hill, so lunchtime I gave Holborough marshes another go, again no additions to the year list, but I did have a good time with the Nightingale, I recorded him singing on my phone and then played the recording back which got him to show himself and sing loud and strong back. Other birds seen: Cormorant, Grey heron, Mute swan, Pheasant, Moorhen Coot, Oystercatcher, Black-headed gull, Herring gull, Woodpigeon, Swift, Green woodpecker. Swallow, House martin, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush, Cetti's warbler, Reed warbler, Lesser whitethroat, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Blue tit, Magpie, Carrion crow, Starling, chaffinch, greenfinch, Goldfinch & reed bunting.









Tuesday 26th May, and for the whole week I had been scheduled to work on a customer site in Havant, so when I saw the news of a GREATER YELLOWLEGS at Titchfield Haven, I shot of there after work. I parked up by the sea wall and joined the other birders already there. The bird was not in view but was being reported as on view from the Suffern hide. The reserve was about to close, so I made the decision go straight to the Suffern hide, running alot of the way, I passed a birder coming the other way, he confirmed that it was still showing when he left the hide, a bit more running at got to the hide, only one birder in the hide, and he let me have a look through his scope, another bird on my life list. Managed to look at the Greater yellowlegs through my scope and got a record shot, before it flew off, soon after one of the reserve wardens turned up to lock up the hide. I went back to the sea wall to join the other birders hoping it had flown up there to continue feeding. we waited and watched a Little egret feeding, a small flock of Black-tailed godwits flew in but the Greater yellowlegs was not with them, a Black swan was with the Mute swans in the harbour.










2015 Year List = 166

Thursday 28th May, and at lunchtime I had a nice walk around Farlington Marshes seeing 40 different birds including a SPOONBILL and SEDGE WARBLER. Also a Barnacle goose and Dark-bellied brent goose near The deeps, and on the main lake a couple of Mediterranean gulls, also Starlings seemed to be everywhere.









2015 Year List = 168

No comments:

Post a Comment