Monday, March 3, 2014

RSPB Otmoor

On the afternoon of Thursday 27th February as I have in the past I dropped in at the RSPB reserve at Otmoor on my way home after working in Coventry. I got changed and my first stop was the feeding station, where in amongst the small birds was a Marsh Tit. Then out to view Greenaways and Big Otmoor where Lapwings were displaying calling out “peewit”, and also hundreds of Golden Plover.
 

On the way to the hide I asked a returning birder if he had seen the Hen Harrier, and he had from the hide as it hunted over Ashgrave. On entering the hide there was another birder & he had seen the Hen harrier about 30mins before I arrived, so I sat down and started to look out across Ashgrave. I has three Stonechat (2m & 1f) on the fence, and at the back was a Kestrel hovering, then the Hen Harrier flew up from some long grass where some Carrion crows had gone, the crows gave the Hen harrier some hassle as did then the Kestrel, before they moved away, and the female Hen harrier started  to fly over this area of long grass where it dropped down on some prey, it was to far away to see want it was feeding on.

I returned to my car and on the path was this splendid cock Pheasant.

2014 Year List = 141

No comments:

Post a Comment