Friday, March 14, 2014

Hume's Leaf Warbler Coleshill Warwickshire

On Thursday 6th March, I had been working in Coventry, and after I had finished my calls, I had a look at the local bird sightings, and found that there was a Hume's leaf warbler at Hams Hall distribution park.
The report said the bird was elusive, but it would be a new bird for me and as I was so close, I went for it.
I followed the directions given and as I drove down Edison road, I saw another birder so I parked up just over the bridge. I then walked over the bridge and followed the path down to the area where the Hume's leaf warbler had been seen. I saw a small bird flitting around, was this it, no just a goldcrest. Two other birders on site and they had not seen it, so I started to walk around seeing: Green woodpecker, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Redwing, Long-tailed tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Chiffchaff, Magpie, Carrion crow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and a nice male Bullfinch, along the river Cormorant, Teal, Mallard and a female Goosander. As I started to get closer to the other two, they signaled to me like birders do when they are on the bird. So I quickly walked to them and started to look in the bushes near to the bridge. A small bird could be seen but it was deep in the bushes and on the other side, the other birder said that it was the Hume's leaf warbler, but there was no way I could tick it on these views. So I continued to watch it and it finally made its way to my side and came out and onto the fence so all its main features could be seen, and it was joined by a goldcrest so I could compare them. It also called a couple of times aloud "twizzick" that sounded similar to my ears like Pied wagtail.








2014 Year List = 144

No comments:

Post a Comment