Tuesday, February 25, 2014

White-billed diver - Brixham Devon

Monday 7th and I had an early start as I had a call in Plymouth. I arrived on site and the user was already there, so I set about finishing off his new laptop and transferring settings/data form his old laptop. This all went very smoothly with no issues, he checked his new laptop and was happy. So was I and set of to Brixham arriving at the car park near the Brixham Environmental Laboratory at 11:30.

I looked around the harbour seeing Great northern diver, Shag & Guillemot, then towards the harbour entrance where Gannet, Black-throated diver & Red-necked grebe were seen. I then started the walk around to the breakwater lighthouse, and as I approached the fishing harbour I saw the Iceland gull, and also Grey seal put in an appearance.

Carried on walking round and went out onto one of the arms getting close views of Turnstone, 2 more Black-throated divers another Red-necked grebe and Shag. 




Carried on round seeing Razorbill, more Great northern divers in and around the marina, but no White-billed diver, out onto the breakwater  more Great northern divers I reached the lighthouse and still NO White-billed diver, other birders had seen it, so I started the walk back to the car looking at all the divers.




I arrived back at the car still no White-billed diver. So I decided to have one last look over the water before heading home, I added kittiwake and Slavonian grebe, some other birders arrived I pointed out these birds and they said they had just come form the White-billed diver and Black guillemot that were in the marina.


So I got in the car and drove around to car park and joined some other birders looking and some of the birders that had been in the other car park joined us, we found the Black guillemot and then the White-billed diver, happy with some great views I  left Brixham around 17:00.

2014 Year List = 73

No comments:

Post a Comment