Wednesday, May 25, 2016

17 added to 2016 year list in March

Tuesday 1st March, No calls for me, so I drove up to Farmoor Reservoir Oxfordshire, hoping to see the Bittern that had been showing well. I went straight to the hide at the Pinkhill meadow nature reserve, and joined two other birders who were already watching the BITTERN, I enjoyed my best ever views of this bittern, as it sat in the open, and after about 30mins, it moved slowly back into the cover of the reeds and rushes and out of sight. I then had a walk around the nature reserve, and then back up to the reservoir, seeing GREAT NORTHERN DIVER, Little Grebe, Great crested grebe, Cormorant, Grey heron, Mute swan, Greylag goose, Canada goose, Teal, Mallard, Tufted duck, Goldeneye, Red kite, Pheasant, Water rail, Moorhen, Coot, Black-headed gull, Woodpigeon, Pied wagtail, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Redwing, Great tit, Magpie, Carrion crow, Goldfinch & Bullfinch.











TOTAL FOR YEAR = 123

Thursday 3rd, as working down in Poole, had a lunchtime walk around Lytchett fields Upton Dorset, adding MARSH HARRIER & GREEN SANPIPER to the year list.



TOTAL FOR YEAR = 125

Friday 4th, work took me to Havant, so it had to be a lunchtime walk around Farlington Marhes Hampshire, seeing 36 species only added SKYLARK.






TOTAL FOR YEAR = 126

Monday 14th, I had a job in Dover Kent, and then I had to go to Havant, but before I drove to Havant, I went up to St Margarets at Cliffe, Great views and added FULMAR.




TOTAL FOR YEAR = 127

Tuesday 15th, after working in Leicester, I stopped of at RSPB Otmoor Oxfordshire, I really like this reserve, I saw 41 species, adding PEREGRINE & YELLOWHAMMER.




TOTAL FOR YEAR = 129

Wednesday 16th March, again No calls for me, so I went to Pyrford Surrey, to look for the Little bunting. I parked up in the church car park, and went out to the fields, and joined some other birders, some had viewed a bunting that could have been the Little bunting. I spent the morning going through all the reed buntings, went back to the car at lunchtime to warm up. Back for another go and again after a few more hours dipped again. So I went to Papercourt water meadows Ripley Surrey, No SEO, but did get two year ticks, GREY WAGTAIL at the lock, and MANDARIN (pair) flying along the river. 







TOTAL FOR YEAR = 131

Friday 18th, and on call again, I drove down to Hayling Island Hampshire, and visited different parts of the island, I started of at the Lifeboat station, then went to Sinah common, Gutner lane, Northney and finally the Oysterbeds. Birds seen Little grebe, Cormorant, Mute swan, Dark-bellied brent goose, Shelduck, Teal, Mallard, Tufted duck, Red-breasted merganser, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Moorhen, Coot, Oystercatcher, RINGED PLOVER, Grey plover, Dunlin, Curlew, Redshank, MEDITERRANEAN GULL, Black-headed gull, Herring gull, Great black-backed gull, Woodpigeon, Green woodpecker, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song thrush, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion crow, Starling, House sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch & Goldfinch.













TOTAL FOR YEAR = 133


I left Hayling Island around 13:30 and drove to Farlington marshes, and on my walk around added 
BARNACLE GOOSE that was on the main lake & two SHORT-EARED OWL that were in the Point field.








TOTAL FOR YEAR = 135

Wednesday 23rd, on the way home after working in Coventry, I dropped into Little Marlow gravel pit, and managed to locate the reported drake GARGANEY.




TOTAL FOR YEAR = 136

and finally on Wednesday 30th, I had a lunchtime walk at Staines reservoirs, adding LITTLE RINGED PLOVER & SAND MARTIN.


TOTAL FOR YEAR = 138

No comments:

Post a Comment