Thursday, April 23, 2015

In March there was 11 more for the year list, 2 also added to UK Life List

On the 9th March, I was working near to Little Marlow GP, so I went there at lunchtime to find the SIBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF. After going slowly up and down and checking all the Chiffchaffs I finally found it on the west bank in its favoured area about 20-30yds beyond the viewpoint. Also Added BLACK SWAN (Pair)
2015 Year List = 119


The next day I had a call in Kings Hill Kent, so when I had finished I drove down to Dungeness and managed to add CATTLE EGRET & TREE SPARROW to the year list.
2015 Year List = 121


The following Wednesday, work took me to Hounslow, so a quick drive to Staines Reservoirs at lunchtime. when I got up to the causeway I found that the North basin had been drained, South basin still full. On the remaining water in the North basin there was a pair of PINTAIL, along the waters edge of the South basin were LITTLE RINGED PLOVER, Dunlin and Redshank. Whilst I was checking all the Pied wagtails along the causeway, I found a smart WHITE WAGTAIL.
2015 Year List = 124






Friday 20th March I was on standby for a site in Coventry, so I drove up to New Brighton, Wirral and went to Marine Lake for the long staying LAUGHING GULL. I parked up and joined to other birders, we walked up to the pontoon as it can be seen there at high tide, it was not there, just Redshanks, turnstones and a few Purple sandpipers.




Looking back along the railings, I saw a gull that looked different to all the Black-headed gulls, I pointed it out and one of the other birders, used his scope and confirmed it was the Laughing gull. So we walked back a got very good views of it.
2015 Year List = 125



The other two birders said they were going on to the RSPB reserve at Burton Mere as there was a roosting Long-eared owl. I had seen one early this year at Deeping lakes, but as I don't get to see them to often, I headed there as well. The RSPB staff were very helpful and gave instructions on where the L-E owl was roosting. On the way I added AVOCET and BLACK-TAILED GODWIT.
As I approached the area I was surprised not to see any other birders as there were alot about, a quick look around and I had the L-E owl all to myself.
2015 Year List = 127



The final birding lunchtime of March was on the 24th March, when I went to Blashford Lakes only had time to view Ivy Lake and also popped into the woodland hide. Only added LONG-TAILED DUCK, to the year list, but did get very good views of a Cetti's warbler.
2015 Year List = 128






No comments:

Post a Comment