Thursday, June 12, 2014

RSPB Reserve Fowlmere - Turtle Doves

Wednesday 11th June, I had to go to Norwich next to the airport for work, so I left home early and stopped at the RSPB Reserve Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire. I had been here before in 2012 after seeing the Common Rosefinch just down the road at Foxfield farm, and remember getting good views of Turtle dove.
I arrived around 06:30 and spent about an hour walking around this reserve. The first bird seen was a Kestrel hunting over a field near to the car park, and on the first circuit of the reserve I saw Sedge and Reed warblers in and around the reed beds,

Skylark over the fields,


Barn Owl in the nest box,


Pheasant, Woodpigeon, Cuckoo, Swift, Green woodpecker, Wren, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Long-tailed tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Yellowhammer,

Reed Bunting,

I only heard the soft purring of a Turtle dove, so I set of on another circuit of the reserve, this time I went into the Spring Hide and had close views of a Reed warbler preening, also Moorhen here.

View from Spring hide,

I then went down to the gate to view to pool near the Reed bed hide and there was around 6/7 well grown Greylag goose goslings, No adults seen and 4 Lapwings.  
As I approached the path for the Reed bed hide I saw a Turtle dove sitting high up in a dead tree, I managed to get closer to this bird, and then heard the soft purring of another Turtle dove.

Happy, I retraced my steps back to the car park, and then went to Norwich.
2014 Year List = 197

No comments:

Post a Comment