Thursday, October 4, 2012

Eton Wick brings up 220 for the year

After work on 3rd October I headed of to Eton Wick to see the Little Stint that had been there for a number of days, this being the same flooded field where the Pectoral Sandpiper was seen in September. On the walk to the viewing area I saw House Sparrow, Woodpigeon & Carrion Crow. I quickly found a Dunlin, 2 Green Sandpipers and then the Little Stint, this little bird has taken my year list to 220 (http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/photos.asp), then a Snipe came into view feeding at the rear of the flood. I did a quick count of the Lapwings (100) and Black-headed Gulls (37), other birds seen Cormorant in the dead tree, 3 Teal, Mallard, Grey Heron, 3 Canada Goose, Stock Dove, Magpie and Starlng. Along the brook in the reeds and trees Wren, Robin, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, a Ring-necked Parakeet flew over, then a Grey Wagtail landed on the egde of the flood close to the brook and then a Hobby flew low across the rear of the field.

I then walked out to the Jubliee river for a quick look, on the water Great Crested Grebe, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Mallard, 2m & 1f Gadwall, a Grey Wagtail on the weir and in the bushes was a mixed flock of Chiffchaffs, Long-tailed Tits, Blue Tits and Great Tits.




On my return to my car noticed that the Black-headed Gulls had increased in number, so another count came back with 81.

No comments:

Post a Comment